Wednesday, June 25, 2008

First, they took away our smoke-filled rooms, now they want the fried food...

I know that it's right-wing snark, but this article about plans and logistics for the upcoming Democratic party convention definitely has me worried, for example, about these green catering standards:

Among them: No fried food. And, on the theory that nutritious food is more vibrant, each meal should include "at least three of the following colors: red, green, yellow, blue/purple, and white." (Garnishes don't count.) At least 70% of ingredients should be organic or grown locally, to minimize emissions from fuel burned during transportation.

Emma Goldman famously refused a revolution if she couldn't dance. I say, I'll watch my food miles, but I really don't want to go to a convention if it means I can't chow down on some dripping-in-fat goodness and everything you eat has to be color-coded. It's a party that happens only once every four years, so a quadrennial plateful of fried goat-cheese won tons with chipotle pepper caramel sauce surely won't hasten the end of either me or the planet.

No comments: