Thursday, May 10, 2007

My audience

Sometime, every composer is going to be asked: for whom do you make your music? I could probably answer with something ambitious or pretentious or wise-assious. I could say that I do it for fame, love, or money, to satisfy my own curiosity or just on a whim, whether as an intellectual pursuit or emotional release. But, of late, I've had no more attentive listener than my daughter Emma, who listens with fresh ears and is equally ready to share an enthusiasm or a critique and -- devoted already -- almost always asks to hear something again.

2 comments:

Adam Baratz said...

Your post reminds me of something I read the other day about Van Dyke Parks:

"His priorities are perhaps most clearly revealed by a tale he told concerning his daughter, Elizabeth, who was nine at the time. When she confessed to him, in tears, that she wanted to love all of his songs but didn't like a song on Tokyo Rose , he obliged her and removed it from the record. It was the album's solitary rock-tinged song, the one the record company had designated to be both the single and the video."

http://www.vandykeparks.com/miscfiles/songwr.html

PWS said...

Woh...cuteness.....overload...