Saturday, March 17, 2007

Who's counting?

Some housekeeping:

For the past year or so, I've had a Site Meter counter and a link to Who Links to Me on this blog. For one reason or another, both have been going haywire of late, sometimes even dropping off the face of the blogoplan. That's annoying, but not as annoying as the fact that I was getting concerned about it, and worrying about visitor counters and counts of vistors was definitely not in the spirit of this enterprise. So, the counters are gone, goodbye, aloha, ciao, tchuss, szia, sugeng kondur, good riddance, and later dates, dudes...

The blogroll continues to beg for maintenance. What is the etiquette of blogrolls, anyways? Is mutual blogrolling ("I'll blogroll you if you blogroll me") the order of the day?* Or should I only blogroll the pages I actually return to often? I've already committed myself to not blogrolling the institutional bloggers (NYTimes, ArtsJournal, Guardian), and I've been hesitant to include the non-musical pages I like, but that point is negotiable.
_____
* Mutual blogrolling has a slightly off-color feel, somewhat like self-googling, an activity in which everyone engages, but to which no one admits. But unlike self-googling, which is harmless, mutual blogrolling has the potential, like mutual citations in academic papers, to inflate the relevance and inportance of the references.

1 comment:

Civic Center said...

I don't have a blogroll because I like white space and don't want to do deal with all the junior high school issues of popularity that a blogroll connotes, but if I did have one, you'd be on it.